Zits has all the answers

I read the Zits comic yesterday, and it got me thinking about how our generation works. Here's the comic strip: Zits July 22,2012. It's so true too. I know it's nice to be able to text someone where you are, update them on your plans, and keep them in the know...but I would wear out quickly if I got texts like this comic all the time. I wish we behaved more like people before our generation, as in, we know our plans for the day and could tell anyone where we'll be and when, and that won't change. Obviously plans change, but not that much, and they only change if you're the one motivated to change them. I can't say that I plan out everyday to a tee, but I definitely do when I meet up with people or friends. If I make plans to see someone at 2pm at such and such a place, I'm going to be there at 2pm waiting for you. I don't understand when people make plans like this and then text each other, up until they both reach their meeting spot, things like "I'm leaving", "I'll be there soon", or "I'll be there in 10 minutes". If I'm given a time to meet, I'm going to be there. I don't think it's necessary for someone to tell me when they leave, when they're on their way, and when they're around the corner...no, you'll either be here at 2pm like we planned or you'll be a little early or a little late, no big deal.

Communication is a pretty big deal, I am a strong advocate of it. There is such a thing as too much communication though, at least in this situation. No one needs a play-by-play of the in-between happenings of your day, e.g. "you're going to the store", "you're doing laundry", or "you're going shopping". I feel like maybe I just like keeping the boring stuff to myself and only sharing things that are truly exciting or noteworthy. Not only does that keep exciting things exciting, but then if anyone gets news from me, they know it's real news and not just fluff about how I bought a new outfit or something. This is perhaps why I only enjoy conversations with a small list of people. Small talk is alright, for about 5 minutes. If I need some zone out time, I can chat more than 5 minutes. Just seems like conversations have downgraded these days. Not too many people seem to have good discussions anymore. Those turn into arguments mostly because neither side knows enough about the topic to have an intelligent opinion about it or at least no support to back up their opinion. I just wish talking with people was more fulfilling and meeting up with people wasn't so cumbersome; either show up or don't, no need for the back and forth texting if you already know whether you'll be there or not. Simple as that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Busy Grad Student's Update on Life

Countdown to End of Line

Serene Saturday