MOVIES!

So I've read in articles somewhere that when people have too many choices they actually become less happy and more agitated, anxious, or upset. I am currently a victim to this feeling. I received an iTunes gift card this past Christmas which I'm pretty happy about because I don't usually have any money to spend on fun items like new dvds or music. On the other hand, I was just browsing the iTunes store trying to get an idea of what I actually wanted to spend this gift card on. Well, I gave up after about 10 minutes or so because there are just too many choices. Not to mention the fact that in the music category I'm just not up to snuff with the most recent releases or artists. I find new music through friends who play stuff they like and if I like it, then sweet! new music for me, and if not then I wait until I hear something I do like from a friend. So, this gift card will probably be spent some a movie or two, or possibly a TV show, but there really are so many to choose from that the process could take a while. Good news for me, gift cards don't really expire, and I plan to use this one within the next year or so, in which case I'm not worried about it acting up.

In some ways I'm glad I don't care too much about an up to date movie or music collection since A) I don't entertain that many guests ever, B) as long as I have some good movies, I can usually wait for the newer ones to get cheaper and THEN add them to the collection, and finally C) because I don't have a nice screen to watch movies on. Movies like Ironman, Captain America, and Thor (all comic book movies..coincidence? maybe) need to be watched on a somewhat larger screen preferably in HD so that the viewer can not only enjoy but appreciate the detail and awesome action scenes put into the film. Drama movies and comedies can be enjoyed on almost any screen with decent resolution because those are usually more about the story and the jokes than they are about the visual effect of the movie. Let's remember, part of the greatness of movies is that they are moving pictures, which used to be a very awe inspiring concept. Now a days we see moving pictures everywhere and it's not a big deal. For those of us that actually like to watch a movie, no distractions (no talking!), no lights, and good speakers, it really is still pretty amazing how movies are made and look so good on the screen.

Watching movies is partly why I have such a love-hate relationship with foreign films. I do recognize (mostly) that foreign film makers can make an excellent film. They create an interesting story and beautiful imagery, but to miss half of those details just to read words at the bottom of the screen so that I have a clue as to what's going on drives me bonkers sometimes. In one sense it makes me want to learn a bunch of languages so I can watch any movie and understand it AND watch it. In another sense, I resort back to the idea that we here in America made movies first, we created Hollywood, and movies should just be made in English but about whatever you want. There's always two sides to everything though, right?

So, in ending, if you have any suggestions about movies worth buying to keep in a collection, let me know. The more I can narrow down the selection pool, the easier the decision will be to make. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Busy Grad Student's Update on Life

Serene Saturday

Countdown to End of Line