Back to school

It's a curious thing how politics work. You go on to higher schooling to learn more, to expand your horizons, and gain more knowledge. In a sense I feel like the honest ones go on to higher learning to become better people, yes to learn more, but in school there's no battle or competition to see who can make the most money. Without that complication, school really does become just a place to learn more. Well, you'd think so anyway...

It amazes me the amount of narcissism in universities. I know everyone wants to feel important but to me, a person takes that importance over the top when they no longer enjoy what they do. Thus, the "made-up" power they think they have becomes all they have. I'm a big believer in you can do anything you set your mind to, and if you don't care too much about money then you really can do just about anything. Yet, so many people seem to stay where they are in their jobs because they're secure and comfortable. Part of me sort of understands this reasoning, a very small part. The rest of me understands that you only live once, and it is important to be happy for as much of life as you can be. I can't understand how someone wants to just ride along feeling mundane all the time and not wanting to strive for more. Well, I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about or have met someone like this. I know someone who I thought was a fair person, reasonable, and yet after this Christmas break that has all changed.

I won't go into much detail but this semester will be different. I feel different about the people I work with and the people I work for, simple as that. I can't say it will be the most pleasant semester but I will try to focus on my courses and hopefully that will take the sting off my work. I hope it won't be a battle everyday, but who knows, that could be what it turns into and I will prepare myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Busy Grad Student's Update on Life

Serene Saturday

Countdown to End of Line